‘References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot’ a Big Hit

Sydney Smith, Editor
February 8, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot premiered on Catawba’s campus this past Wednesday, February 6th, 2013, and it’s attracting quite a crowd.

A story of a frazzled marriage between Gabriela, played by Kylie Beinke, and Benito, played by Eric English, illustrates the difficulties of being a family revolving around military service, and the travel it often includes. The chemistry between Beinke and English onstage is an outstanding portrayal of a burdened love, but be warned — the show has earned an “R” rating.

Gabriela battles turmoil between the husband she fell in love with and her Army husband, wishing their marriage hadn’t changed from the days when he took time to notice things like the moon. The moon, played by Adam Weiner, offers comfort to the worried Gabriela, as does her cat, played by Verity Pryor-Harden, who develops a love interest with a wild coyote, played by Greg Stoughton.

The performance, touching and artistically crafted, is directed by Catawba College senior and BFA Musical Theatre major Sydney Berk. You might remember her from her leading role as Elle Woods in Catawba’s last theatre event, Legally Blonde: The Musical.

If you haven’t been able to catch the show, don’t panic — References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot will continue playing in the Florence Busby Corriher theatre until this Saturday, February 9th. All shows start at 7:30PM.

Stay tuned to Catawba’s theatre department for it’s next show, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, which is set to show February 19th-23rd.