The Student Newspaper of Catawba College

Tastebuds Tea and Coffee: A Good Place for A Down Day

Morgue File

Rebecca Rider, Writer

Since Port City Java closed down over the Summer, you may be wondering where to go to get your weekly (or daily) coffee-fix. There’s always Starbucks, but it’s farther away and not known for having the best brew.

There is another option. Tastebuds Coffee and Tea is a local coffee shop on North Main Street, right off Salisbury Square. Tastebuds has been a county favorite for four years running—No, seriously, they’ve won awards. All of their drinks are organic, and everything in the store is supplied by local businesses.

Did I mention that they’ve got great coffee, too? You can order something from the menu or, if you don’t know what you want, you can ask Kirk Knapp, owner and coffee-maker extraordinaire, to surprise you. He’ll ask a few questions: do you want coffee or tea? Something sweet? With milk? Caffeine? And then whip up something that’s sure to be delicious.

That was the case for me on Friday afternoon. I requested something with an extremely high caffeine content, and Kirk made me a drink called a Black Eye. It’s a very strong cup of coffee plus two or more shots of espresso. I didn’t need to sleep for the rest of the weekend. And the coffee was, as always, excellent.

If you’re not a coffee person, Tastebuds also serves a wide variety of teas, hot cider, flavored lemonades, and sodas. They also have pastries from local bakeries.

Tastebuds is a cozy shop, too, with warm colors and lighting. They also have good music—frequently it’s live music. And free wi-fi. It’s a great place operated by great people. If you need a cup of coffee, you should definitely check it out.