Open Mic Night

hmdavis
Hannah Davis, Writer
October 8, 2013
Filed under Fun Stuff

On the first Thursday of October, The 3rd Place hosted its first ever “Open Mic Night” event. Each performer was allotted thirty minutes in which they could sing/perform anything they wanted.

Some of the performers were Artist Development Program (ADP) students who decided to give the audience a taste of what they would be performing at their ADP showcases later on in the semester. Many students brought their guitars and sang, while others sang a capella or with a soundtrack. There were surprisingly only three students who decided to recite some of their favorite poetry.

The Coffee House just recently relocated to a new spot underneath the Chapel and is now nicknamed “The 3rd Place.” This nickname is partially derived from the fact that it is the third time that the location of the Coffee House has changed. Their name also comes from their new slogan, which states, “You’ve got your home and your work place, now let us be your Third Place.” The small room and comfy furniture, combined with the aroma of sweet coffee provides a warm, intimate setting that allowed all of the performers to feel welcomed, and not intimidated by their peers.

The 3rd Place hopes to host many more Open Mic Nights throughout the year since the first one was such a huge success. They also hope that they will be able to get an actual microphone for performers to use next time.