Annual Christmas Tree Lighting

Related Content

Kristi Leonard, Writer
December 2, 2013
Filed under Fun Stuff

Traditions are everywhere here at Catawba. On Monday November 25, inside of the student center, the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting was held.

Each year clubs and faculty act out the twelve days of Christmas. Dr. Clapp is always the partridge in a pear tree and of course the drum line drums up a storm for the twelfth day, 12 drummers drumming, with plenty of other clubs and sports teams participating throughout the song. A tradition of acting out the 12 days of Christmas is easily one of Catawba’s most popular events, and was a large crowd pleaser. Children from the community as well as faculty and students come to not only see the 12 days of Christmas but also see Santa!

Pictures were taken throughout the evening, with Santa and of other events happening. Each year clubs are invited to create a gingerbread house, to compete in a contest. This year RHA won, followed by Philo and SNCAE. After checking out the cool houses, everyone made sure to stop by and eat a hotdog.

Once I ate my hotdog, I headed to the create your own trail mix bar, which was one of my favorite stops. After that, I decorated and ate a sugar cookie. Crafts were set up for the children present, but I made sure to create a clear ornament with paint splattered inside of it for myself. After finishing all the crafts you could possibly imagine, you could step outside and make s’mores over the fire pit. Needless to say, this is one tradition that not only the children like but the students and faculty of Catawba enjoy as well.