The Student Newspaper of Catawba College

Batman vs. Superman Review

Youtube Creative Commons

Youtube Creative Commons

Genesis Soto, Writer

Two heroes. One story. And a bunch of bad reviews. Batman vs Superman premiered last week, and fans were stoked…until they actually went to go watch it. When Bruce Wayne (Batman) is convinced that Clark Kent (Superman) is the enemy, they have a battle to determine the last man standing. Though it received a 29% on Rotten Tomatoes (a very well-known website that reviews films), some fans actually really enjoyed it. However, a good chunk did not like it at all. I decided to interview a few Catawba kids about their opinion on the movie. This is what they had to say.

“I saw it but honestly I did not like it [… ]basically I liked the plot but I was not feeling the actors. Ben Affleck already had a turn being a superhero “Daredevil”…. And I think Christian Bale was way better as a Batman.  Jesse Eisenburg as a villain? No. I just couldn’t vibe with it. “

-I.G

“I loved it…the plot was amazing and the Wonder Woman intro was great, and the actors were awesome! But in order for you to like this movie or even understand it, you have to read the comic books.”

S.O

“I thought it was an incredible and new take on all of the main characters, Batman, Superman, Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman. These characters are not the ones the population is used to. It is a dialogue heavy, dense, film with a ton to take away – from the philosophical points regarding power and how one should use it, to the individual connections of characters. It is a comic book movie which is visually spectacular, well developed plot wise and character wise, with a spectacular soundtrack and very dangerous choices”

C.C

“I thought it was an amazing new take on the DC universe. While it was not without its flaws, it out does them by being so thought provoking. It is a very fan-focused movie which makes the average movie goer kind of bored but for comic book fans there is never a dull moment and the movie offers a lot of re-watchable qualities.”

A.T

“It is not a good film. It is likable for true comic book fans or for people that enjoy exciting movies but don’t really appreciate film. But for someone who casually enjoys comics and really appreciates film, it is a poorly made movie. The acting is perfectly fine, great at some points, but the inconsistent, poor script makes it impossible for the actors to give remarkable performances. There are forced hints towards future movies and the editing is so poor that these forced moments are jarring, the plot has an abundance of logical fallacies and the female characters are the flattest, most boring female characters I’ve seen in a long time. “

D.F

Honestly it is a 50/50 from both fans and first time movie goers. Hopefully DC steps up their game next time.