Catawba Students Visit Washington, DC

Sydney Smith, Writer
January 16, 2012
Filed under Out & About

On January 4th, 2011, first generation college students in Catawba College’s First in the Family First Year Seminar class visited Washington, DC for five days of exploration throughout the nation’s capital. The class, made up of exclusively first generation college students, was lead by Dr. Constance Lowery. Dr. Michael Bitzer, Jessica Bound, Justin Smith, and Mr. Steve Lowery also went along for the trip.

Like the students in her class, Lowery was also a first generation college student in her family. “I enjoyed it [the trip] because I didn’t really have those opportunities when I was a first year student myself,” mentioned Lowery.

The group of students toured numerous historical sites and monuments. Among their activities, the students viewed Billy Elliot: The Musical at the Kennedy Center, toured the White House, visited Arlington National Cemetery, and ventured to many museums. Christopher Money, a first generation college student, had trouble deciding which part of the trip was his favorite. “You were actually a part of it [the trip], and you could tell your own personal story to fit in with the history of America,” he recalled.

The 2011-2012 First in the Family FYS class was the second Catawba group to go on this trip. Funding was provided by Wal-Mart/CIC and obtained through written grants by Maria Vandergriff-Avery, Carla Eastis, Steve Coggin, and Carl Girelli.