Swimming Prepares For Conference Tournament

Laela Ghorbani, Writer
January 31, 2011
Filed under Sports

The 2010-2011 Catawba College Swim Team is gearing up for their biggest meet of the year coming up February 16-19.  The team will be competing against the other 15 teams in the Bluegrass Mountain Conference in 22 events throughout the weekend at Mecklenburg Aquatic Center in Charlotte. Sophomore Lindsay Yarborough stated that conference “is the pinnacle of our season and I’m ready to show off all the work we’ve put in through the year.”

Another member of the team, Junior Christoffer Stolt said, “Conference should be a fun time.  I think the team as a whole has improved a lot during the year and even though we are a small team, I think we have great opportunities to get in the top spots.”

The Indians have needed every member of their team to contribute this year due to a smaller team than most opponents, which means the freshman have had to step up.  “I’m excited, I hope to swim fast.  I’m a little nervous because this is my first conference as a colligate athlete, but I’m mostly excited,” Freshman Caroline Bostian claims.

The seniors this year also have high expectations and the experience to back it up.  Senior Meredith Schultz says, “I’m just going to go out there and have fun.  It’s the last meet ever, I have nothing to lose, and am just going for the gold.”  The senior captain, Katie Huff, also has set the bar high with an opportunity to make the national tournament in the 100 breast stroke.  Huff believes that, “This season has been a long, but great season and I’m excited to swim well at conference.  It looks like it’s going to shape up pretty well.”