First Round of Lacrosse Conference Tournament Catawba Wins

Laela Ghorbani, Sports Writer
April 14, 2011
Filed under Sports

The Catawba Lacrosse fought hard to the finish to defeat their Wingate hosts in the first round of Deep South Conference tournament play.  This was the second game in a row against the Bulldogs and the Indians were looking to redeem themselves after the loss at home the previous Saturday.  Catawba came out strong at the beginning with a goal by freshman John Scheich only 45 seconds into the match.  Junior Freddie Turcio followed shortly after with his own pair of goals.  The first quarter would end with a goal from Junior Braden Artem to give Catawba a 4-0 lead.

The scoring continued as Artem slotted his second goal of the game four minutes into the second quarter.  Wingate finally made it on the board just 30 seconds after, but Scheich responded the following minute with another Catawba goal.  Wingate then tallied a goal with a little over seven minutes remaining in the half.  With barely over two minutes left on the clock, Artem put away another two goals to end the second quarter with a score of 8-2.

Catawba’s troubles began at the start of the second half.  Both goals of the third quarter came from Wingate to pull the score to 8-4.  Then with only five minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Bulldogs started their rally, scoring four goals to tie up the game in scarcely over a minute.  With the score all tied up, just under four minutes of play remained.  Wingate then went to gain their first lead with 1:05 left.  The Indians appeared to be out of luck as a penalty was called and they were forced to play a man down just ten seconds after the goal.  Artem would come through for Catawba with only five seconds lingering to score his fifth goal of the game and 39th for the season.  Regulation ended in a draw with both teams at 9 goals apiece.

Overtime began with both teams struggling to keep possession of the ball.  A timeout for the Indians gave Catawba momentum along with a penalty against Wingate.  Marty Tuohy would fire in the final goal to end the game with a Catawba victory at 10-9.

Artem proved to be an asset during the game with his five goal contribution.  Of the match, he said, “We had a great first half with offense and defense clicking.  We then became tentative in the second half which allowed Wingate back in the game, but big plays on both sides of the ball allowed us to pull through in OT.”

The Indians could not celebrate long as they face Mars Hill College on Thursday, April 14th for the semifinals of conference tournament.  Junior Cory Losselyong who tallied and assist during the match stated, “We came out strong and fought hard to get a good win.  Now we have to keep the momentum going and play as a team against Mars Hill.”