Catawba Lacrosse Wins Championship!

Laela Ghorbani, Sports Writer
April 27, 2011
Filed under Sports, Sports Center, Top Stories

The Catawba Men’s lacrosse team claimed the Deep South Conference Tournament Championship on Sunday against the Florida Southern University Moccasins in Florida.  This was the first championship win for the Indians after having lost in the finals the previous three years.

Catawba came out strong in the opening minutes of the first quarter with the first two goals coming from freshman Trevor Sieracki.  He scored only four minutes in with the second following less than two minutes later.  Florida Southern finally got into the game as they scored the next three goals to gain the lead in the next four minutes.  Sieracki would score his third goal of the game with less than a minute remaining to end the first quarter in a tie at 3-3.

The Moccasins found the net barely a minute into the second quarter to pull ahead before senior Marty Tuohy tied up the score with his first goal of the game three minutes later.  The back and forth score would continue with Florida Southern tallying another goal a minute later before Catawba responded three minutes later with a goal by freshman Davis Hughes.  Catawba pulled ahead only 15 seconds later with another goal by Tuohy.  The Indians would secure another goal from Freshman John Scheich with a little over five minutes remaining before the Moccasins would limit their lead to one with 48 seconds remaining and send the teams in at halftime with the score of 7-6.

The second half began as a struggle for Catawba to fall back into the game.  Florida Southern tallied the only two goals of the quarter by tying up the score only three minutes in.  The other goal of the quarter came from the Moccasins with less than six remaining.  The quarter ended with the Indians down 8-7.

The fourth quarter provided the time for Catawba to rally as Scheich found the net to pull the score even three minutes in.  Scheich then tallied another goal five minutes later to put the Indians in the lead.  Junior Braden Artem would add on another goal for Catawba to secure their lead with less than three minutes left in the game.  The final buzzer sounded and the Indians were able to celebrate their title with a 10-8 score.

According to the members of the team, it was the hard work and contribution of every player that caused them to win the cup.  Of the game Tuohy stated, “I believe we showed why we are a championship caliber team on Sunday because we had younger kids step up and get the job done.  It’s great to see things like that and it just shows how great of a team we can be when we play together.”Sieracki, one of the two freshmen with a hat-trick during the game, said, “We played hard as a team and not for one moment did we play individually.  We had kids step up when it truly mattered.”

Artem also claimed the win was a team effort.  “We had a quick start and traded goals for the first half, then struggled coming out of the break before rallying in the fourth to pull off the win!  It was great to see some underclassmen step up and score big goals and make key stops!” he said.  Along with the championship trophy, Artem earned the award of the tournament’s Most Valuable Player.

Despite the standout acknowledgment, Artem credited the award to gaining recognition for playing for his team.  He stated, “With all the games being so exciting, it was nice to come through in certain circumstances and winning the tournament for the graduating seniors.  The MVP was definitely a nice added bonus to what we all accomplished.”

The lacrosse team takes a break this weekend and will finish their season at Limestone on April 30th.