Women’s Lacrosse Team Starts Season with New Assistant Coach

Brandi Cockerham, Writer
January 14, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

As the lacrosse season gets into full swing, there will be several new faces on the practice and game fields this year. Along with the freshmen, new head coach (Jordan Clodfelter), and a few transfer students, there is also a new assistant coach. Liz Melesh graduated in December 2012 from Pfeiffer University and was hired following her graduation as an assistant coach for the women’s lacrosse team here at Catawba.

Melesh is originally from Annapolis, Maryland, where she attended Annapolis High School and played field hockey, basketball, and lacrosse. While attending Pfeiffer University, in nearby Misenheimer, North Carolina, Liz chose to focus her athletic career only on lacrosse. She played attack and was a member of the North/South All Star College Lacrosse Team. Her senior year, Liz was a team captain, named NCAA Player of the Week, and was also named a First Team All-Conference Player.

When questioned whether or not she had any reservations about coaching at one of her alma mater’s rivals, Liz explained that she was more excited about the opportunity than anything else. Even though Liz did not attend Catawba, after being hired, she was being welcomed by a familiar face. The head coach for the women’s lacrosse team was an assistant coach at Pfeiffer for the past two years. Liz explains, “I get along with Jordan [Clodfelter] really well and she is a mentor to me.” Although she is adjusting well and enjoying her position as assistant coach, Melesh does admit to missing a few aspects of living in Maryland. “I miss being close to the water as well as how the area is set up geographically. Everything is close by where I am from, whereas, in this area, it is a thirty minute drive to the closest mall,” shares Melesh.

As an assistant coach, Liz is responsible for recruiting, coordinating travel details, as well as generally being of assistance to Coach Clodfelter. Both coaches have worked together to organize the team’s practice and game schedule. In terms of goals for this upcoming season, Liz shares her team goal, saying “I want to help the team to have more of a winning season this year.” For her personal goal, Liz says, “I want to learn and gain experience with coaching.” When asked what her favorite drill was, Melesh declared, “The box drill because it requires communication, skill, and patience.”

The team’s first home game will be on February 12 at 6pm versus Limestone. The Pioneer would like to welcome both of the new coaches to Catawba and wish the women’s lacrosse team the best of luck this season.