Spolight: Antionette McPhail

Rebekah Brown, Writer
February 3, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Meet 6’1” junior Antionette Elissa McPhail.  Many people around Catawba know her as Net or Ant.  She transferred here last year.  She is currently studying Sociology and her minor is Psychology.

She plays basketball, but at her other college, she played basketball, ran track and field, and ran cross country.  McPhail is currently a forward and a center for the Lady Indians.

On Saturday, January 12, 2013, the Lady Indians played Tusculum.  I asked her how she thought that game went.  She said, “The game was very intense, and it seemed like it was going to be a close game.  It seemed like we were just trading baskets before we finally took the lead.”

During the game, one of the players McPhail was playing offense against pulled McPhail’s shirt and the referees didn’t call a hold.  I asked McPhail, “How did you feel about that?” McPhail stated, “All I could do was laugh and keep my head.  Things like that happens when the game is close; some players keep their head, but some get mad.  I just kept my cool.”

The best game she remembers that she has played here at Catawba was when the Lady Indians played Tusculum and Brevard this season.  She also said that she has played well in other games, but she likes the recent games she has played in.

I asked her how she thought she played since coming to Catawba.  She said “I feel like I’ve improved since my first year of college in playing in the post position.  I’ve learned more about what it means to be a good player, student and person.  Respect will carry you a long way in life.”

I asked her, “What would your teammates say about you as a player?” She said, “I’m a good player, and I’m a respectable person to be around.  My teammates say I have an old soul, and I’m like the mom/grandma of the team.  I have to laugh at them when they say that.

Next, I asked her, “ What would your coaches say about you?” She replied, “They would say that I’m a hard working player, and I love the game.  I just need to stop beating myself up when I make mistakes or I can’t get something on the first two tries.  I just have to let things go  and work hard to make up for it. I’m not going to get things on the first try, and I have to understand that.  I’m not perfect and I’m going to make mistakes.”

As a reporter for Catawba College Pioneer, I’ve always wondered why people come to Catawba. When I asked her, she said, “It was a last minute discussion since things weren’t going the way I planned at my first college.”

I asked Antionette, “What are your plans for after college?”  Her response was, “I plan on renewing my CNA license in nursing.  I want to go to grad school.  I plan on trying out for basketball overseas, but I’m still thinking about that. I really want to own my own daycare.”