Tysinger, Gerone Lead the Way as Cat-U Softball Gains Momentum

macovert
Mark Covert, Sports Writer
February 26, 2013
Filed under Softball, Sports

Most days during the start of the 2013 softball season have been chilly, but it hasn’t been enough to slow down the hot hitting and pitching of the Lady Indians.

Currently sitting with a record of 11-5 after a 5-1 victory over visiting Massachusetts-Lowell to move their winning streak to six games, Catawba is rolling on all cylinders in almost every phase of the game.  From a pitching standpoint, freshman Carley Tysinger has been superb all season long with a perfect 8-0 record in eight starts and an astonishing 0.33 ERA in 63 innings pitched. She also has five complete game shutouts in those eight starts. Sophomore Selena Ashley has also settled down in her last three starts, going 3-0 after losing her first two starts of the season.

“I feel like we’ve been really strong so far,” said Tysinger.  “I have faith in both the other pitchers, Selena and Emily, and I believe that all three of us can do great things this season.”

As for the girls and their bats, the team is batting .276 as a whole on the season.  Senior Tara Gibbs leads the team in batting average with a .352 average while freshman Gina Gerone is the leader in RBIs with 14 on the year.  Gerone has already had some timely swings on the young season.  In a four-game span from February 16-17, she had a total of eight RBIs, including a two-run homer in the first game of a doubleheader against West Virginia Wesleyan and six RBIs coming off of UNC-Pembroke.  Her heroics didn’t stop there as she delivered the game-winning sacrifice fly in a 1-0 extra inning win over LeMoyne on Sunday.

“I feel like these last few games our team has been playing great ball,” said Gerone. “We’ve been playing with a lot of dedication and motivation; we play with a lot of heart always.  We’re very confident in ourselves and our teammates and I always feel like there’s room for improvements.  Everyone is playing their hearts out.”

The biggest win thus far this season was a 2-1 victory over the 4th-ranked team in the country, North Georgia, on Sunday afternoon.  “We were very excited about that win because it gave us a bunch of confidence, but we know there is still room for improvement as a team and as individuals,” Gerone stated.

Tysinger pitched that game and although it wasn’t a shutout, she was effective once again. Gerone and the other players in the field did their parts by making plenty of plays to prevent the Saints from doing any real damage until Tysinger could get in a groove, where she sat the final 12 batters she faced.

Confidence is oozing from the Catawba softball team right now. The rest of the SAC, and possibly the nation, had better be on the lookout.