Women’s Lacrosse Earns First Win of the Season

Brandi Cockerham , Writer
March 12, 2013
Filed under Sports

Last Wednesday, March 6, while many Catawba students were enjoying their spring break at home or on vacation, the women’s lacrosse team faced Siena Heights University in Shuford Stadium for their fifth game of the season.

Siena Heights University is located in Jackson, Michigan and similarly as the women’s lacrosse program at Catawba, there are in their second year of the program.

After facing three teams in four days, the Siena Heights Saints were on a losing streak. The lady Indians came out fired up and ready to go for the game.

Three team members from Catawba scored four goals each: Junior Midfielder, Ebony Mills, Freshman Attacker, Meredith Jones, and Sophomore Attacker, Chelsey Bauer. The lady Indians were able to score five points before the Saints even made it onto the board.

By halftime, the score board read 10-3. After the ten minute break, the Saints came back, ready for action. Stephannie Gonzalez scored a goal right as the second half began, but from then on, the Indians did not allow any more goals from the opposing team. At the end of the game the score was 19-4.

Freshman Goal keeper, Bethany Davis, had six saves throughout the game and the Catawba Indians won 20 out of 25 draws. The women’s lacrosse team will travel to Mt. Olive this coming Thursday, March 14 to face the Trojans at 4pm.