Catawba Volleyball Falls to Wingate

athartse
Aaron Hartsell, Writer
September 24, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Catawba Indians volleyball team fell in their conference home opener against the #16 Wingate Bulldogs on Friday night in straight sets 25-17, 25-20, and 25-14. The Indians fought hard in the loss, and came out strong in the first set by taking a 10-8 early lead by freshman Bri Howard’s scoring the set’s first point. The Indians were also paced in the first set by senior Emily Richardson, who had a key kill. The strong start by the Indians would not last as the Bulldogs went on a 6-0 run and made the score 16-14 before they eventually won the set 25-17.

In the second set, the Indians once again came out strong, as they scored the first 3 out of the 4 points. Catawba junior, Haley Lanier, really played well in the 2nd set for the Indians. Lanier had many kills and assists in the second set. This was the best set of volleyball played by the Indians and it showed on the scoreboard as the final score for the 2nd set was 25-20.

In the third set, the Bulldogs started out with 4 straight points before the Indians scored. The Bulldogs intense start to the third set was too much for the Indians as the Bulldogs went on an 11-2 scoring run. Freshman McKenzie Garrison had a good match for the Indians with 10 digs. Sophomore Kaytee Frabota also played well in the loss with 20 assists.

The Indians next play against another conference team when they travel to Tusculum on Friday night at 7:00.