Strong Second Half Helps Football Snap Losing Streak

macovert
Mark Covert, Sports Editor
October 29, 2013
Filed under Sports

It’s not how you start, but how you finish.

After three weeks of struggling to start or finish games, Catawba was finally able to close one out against the Brevard Tornados, winning 34-17 at Brevard Memorial Stadium on Saturday night.

From the beginning of the game, the Indians were flying around and making plays. The defense stopped Brevard on their first drive with a third-down sack by junior defensive tackle Stephen “Yogi” Davis to give the ball back to the offense, who drove inside the 20 of Brevard before senior wide receiver Nate Charest fumbled the ball on a screen play.

The Indians were able to put up two touchdowns on the board in the first half, with senior quarterback Danny O’Brien throwing a touchdown to freshman receiver Carlos Tarrats and junior tight end Tyler Hamilton each. However, Brevard had their own touchdown and tacked on a field goal to end the first half, with Catawba leading 13-10.

When the teams came out to play the second half, it seemed that the figurative switch had flipped for the Indians, who went on a tear to finish the game. Sophomore runningback Cary Littlejohn capped off Catawba’s first second half drive with a 3-yard touchdown to go along with his career-high 146 yards, giving Catawba its first 100-yard rusher this season. He also had 41 yards receiving on the night.

O’Brien would run in for another score and throw his third touchdown of the night to Charest to give Catawba its third score in three second half drives, pushing their lead to 34-10. Brevard would score again in the fourth quarter, but it would not be enough.

O’Brien finished the game 29-of-41 passing for 320 yards. Tarrats and Charest were the leading receivers on the night, hauling in 9 and 8 catches, respectively.

After snapping their three-game losing streak with the win, the Indians will head home to Shuford Stadium this week to face another SAC opponent in Mars Hill. Kickoff is scheduled for 1:30.