Catawba Volleyball falls to Tusculum

athartse
Aaron Hartsell, Writer
November 4, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Catawba Indians volleyball team fell in straight sets on Friday night against the Tusculum Pioneers 25-20, 25-22, and 25-18. In the first set, Catawba started out slow as Tusculum got the first 4 points of the set. After starting out slow however, the Indians got the score down to 16-15 after a key kill from Sophomore Kaytee Frabotta. The Pioneers had six of the next seven points after the Indians cut it to 16-15 and made it 22-16. The Indians went on another run to make it 23-20 but it would not be enough as Tusculum won the set 25-20.

In the second set, the Indians came out strong and energized as they got the first point of the set. Tusculum would take the lead 3-1 in the set before Catawba came back on a run and went up 6-4. Freshman Meredith Furr had a big ace for the Indians in the set that led to a run. Freshman Erin Morant also played very well in the set for the Indians and had a key block that led to the Indians leading at one point during the second set. The Pioneers came out on a five point run after a timeout to make the score 15-13 and did not look back the rest of the set as the Indians would lose the set 25-22.

In the third set, Tusculum came out strong, taking a 5-0 lead. The Pioneers intense start to the third set would be too much for the Indians to recover from. The Indians tried to recover as they went on a run to make the score 15-8, but they could not come back from the Pioneers strong start as they lost the third set 25-18. Despite the loss in the third and final set, Senior Anna Logan played well for the Indians in the third set the as she had 4 kills. Freshman McKenzie Garrison played well for the Indians in the loss as she had 11 kills and 11 digs in the match. Senior Emily Richardson also played well for the Indians as she had 7 kills in the match.

The Indians play again in another conference match-up when they play Carson-Newman at home this Friday night at 7.