Catawba Volleyball Falls to Carson-Newman

Error: Unable to create directory uploads/2014/11. Is its parent directory writable by the server?
Aaron Hartsell, Writer
November 12, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Catawba Indians volleyball team fell in four sets on Friday night against Carson-Newman 18-25, 25-16, 25-16, and 25-16. In the first set, Catawba started out strong and energetic as the Indians got the first point of the set. Freshman McKenzie Garrison came out strong and led the Indians in the first set with her good play and it continued throughout the match. She led the Lady Indians overall with a twelve kills, ten digs and three blocks. After Catawba got off to such a strong start, they kept it going and won the set 25-18.

In the second set, the Indians came out strong and energized just like they did in the first set. Carson-Newman would get up in the set 3-0 and they would never trail. Catawba tried to come back but the early deficit would be too much to come back from as they lost the set 25-16. Garrison would continue her good play in the second set along with Freshman Bri Howard and Junior Haley Lanier.

In the third set, Catawba came out strong, taking a 5-3 lead. The Indians’ strong start to the third set would not be enough as the Eagles came back and took the lead after a nine point scoring run. The Indians tried to recover but they could not come back from the Eagles strong run as they lost the third set 25-16. Garrison played well again in third set for the Indians. Freshman Alex Hopper also did really well in the set to pace the Indians.

In the fourth set, Catawba started out strong by getting the first point. The Indians came out with a lot of energy just like throughout the whole match. Senior Anna Logan played well for the Indians as she had three kills and one block during the run that the Indians had during the set. The Indians’ energetic and strong start would not be enough even though the Indians and Eagles would go back and forth until it was 20-20. Carson-Newman would finish the match on a 5-0 run to make the final score of the set 25-20.

The Indians next play again in another conference match-up when they play against Queens in their home finale on tonight at 7.