Football Comes From Behind Again, Defeats North Greenville

macovert
Mark Covert, Sports Editor
November 12, 2013
Filed under Sports

For the first time since the 2010 season, Catawba football will finish with a winning record after their come-from-behind victory over North Greenville, 20-17.  Kicker Chad Hollandsworth nailed a 23-yard field goal as time expired to complete the comeback for the Indians.  Catawba moved to 6-4 with the win, while the Crusaders dropped to an even 5-5.

The game did not start out too promising for Catawba. After a fine first drive for Catawba, in which Hollandsworth kicked a 36-yard field goal, Catawba scored their first points. However, those would be the only points for the Indians in the first half, as the North Greenville defense was able to bring the Catawba offense out of its comfort zone for much of the first two quarters.  The Indians defense did not fair much better, as the Crusaders offense kept the ball in their hands and made the most of it, taking a 17-3 lead into halftime.

As has been the case for much of the season, Catawba displayed their ability to mount a comeback and finish a game.  After two straight possessions in which the defense caused a turnover each time, freshman linebacker Montravius “Tre” Evans picked off a tipped pass and returned it 38 yards for the first touchdown of the game for Catawba.  On the ensuing offensive drive for Catawba, sophomore runningback Cary Littlejohn scored from one-yard out to even the score at 17 a piece.

With the game knotted up, the Crusaders drove the ball down inside the Catawba 5-yard line.  In a big defensive stand, the Indians defense stopped the opposing offense three times on the one-yard line on the last three downs to give the ball back to the offense with a little over five minutes later in the fourth quarter.  After two drives that ended in punts for both squads, freshman quarterback Mike Sheehan led the Indians offense down the field with absolute poise and precision to set Hollandsworth up for the game-winning field goal as time ran out to give Catawba another hard-earned victory.

Catawba will now come home for their final game of the season to face off against their rivals, Lenior-Rhyne, on senior day.  Kickoff is scheduled for 1:30.