Catawba Volleyball Falls to Queens on Senior Night

Error: Unable to create directory uploads/2014/11. Is its parent directory writable by the server?
Aaron Hartsell, Writer
November 19, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Catawba Indians volleyball team fell in four sets last Tuesday night against Queens 18-25, 25-23, 25-16, and 25-18. The Indians came out trying to play inspired for their seniors in what was the final home match of the season. In the first set, Catawba started out strong and energetic as the Indians got the first point of the set. Queens would get out to an early lead of 7-5 but Catawba went on a six point run to make the score 11-7. Seniors Emily Richardson and Anna Logan would lead the Indians in the first set on senior night. The Indians strong play by their seniors on senior night would lead them to win the first set 25-18.

In the second set, the Indians came out strong and energized just like they did in the first set. Queens would get up in the set 3-0 and they would never trail. Catawba fought back to make the score 3-3 and the Indians also fought toward the end of the set, but it would not be enough as the strong set by Queens would be too much to come back from as the Indians lost the set 25-23. Freshman McKenzie Garrison would play well in the second set along with Junior Haley Lanier who both had key kills to get the Indians back in the set.

In the third set, Queens came out strong, taking a 6-1 lead before the Indians called a timeout. The Royals strong start to the third set would be too hard for the Indians to come back from and they kept the lead the whole set. The Indians tried to recover but they could not come back from the Royals strong play as they lost the third set 25-16. Seniors Emily Richardson, Anna Logan, and Leah Ryan played really well in the set and contributed to the Indians strong surge to try to get in the set.

In the fourth set Catawba started out by getting the first point. The Indians came out with a lot of energy and inspiration just like throughout the match. Junior Ashley Brown played well for the Indians in the set as she had three blocks as well as Freshman Bri Howard who had four kills during a stretch that saw the Indians lead 9-3. The Indians energetic and strong start would not be enough as the Royals fought back to take the lead 19-16. Queens would never look back after they took the lead and they won the fourth and final set of the match, 25-18.

The Indians finished their season this past weekend on the road against Newberry and Anderson where they lost in three straight sets 25-16, 25-19, and 25-19 against Newberry. The Indians also lost in three straight sets against Anderson 25-15, 25-21, and 25-15. The Indians finished this season with an overall record of 4-20 and a conference record of 4-18.