The Student Newspaper of Catawba College

Ketner School of Business Welcomes New Professor

Lori Hamrick, Writer

This fall, Catawba College welcomes a new addition to its faculty. Dr. Eric Hake joins the Ketner School of Business, teaching both upper level and entry level economics courses. Dr. Hake brings with him years of teaching experience gained in widely varied settings, including schools in Europe.

When asked about teaching in the environment of a small liberal arts college like Catawba, he mentions the “willingness of students to engage” in the learning process. He believes that this hands-on attitude leads to success, and holds the opinion that “learning is not something that is done to you.”

During his college years, Dr. Hake’s academic interests included math, philosophy and history. His interests in these fields were brought on by the same underlying curiosity that led him to study and teach economics. He sums up this curiosity by saying “I wanted to know where we come from.”

Outside of the classroom, Dr. Hake enjoys both playing and listening to music. He has been involved in music since his high school days, and his tastes are eclectic and strongly influenced by college radio. He enjoys listening to artists like Neutral Milk Hotel, Bright Eyes and Elliot Smith.

Dr. Hake intends to involve his family in the Community Music program, and looks forward to attending other campus events, including events of an academic nature as well as music performances. Dr. Hake is enthusiastic about Catawba, and is already proving to be a valuable part of the Catawba community.