Catawba Pride: The Band Marches Again

Darby Reedy, Writer
January 17, 2012
Filed under Spotlights, Students

Almost forty years ago, the Catawba College marching band ventured onto the football field for the last time.

Until now. This past fall, Catawba debuted a full-fledged marching group for the first time since 1973. Performing at all the home football games this past fall, the Catawba Pride Marching Band brought spirit and excitement to the stadium. “The band has provided a chance to be involved in a new segment of the music department. It has helped me transition to college and I cannot wait to see how it progresses,” freshman mellophone player Ryn Crawford said while discussing her band experience.

This semester, the marching band will continue its duties as it transitions to a pep band for basketball games. The band plays music ranging from classics such as “Build Me Up Buttercup” and “You Can Call Me Al” to student arranged contemporary favorites like “Forget You” and a mash-up of “Dynamite” and “Firework.”

Sophomore music major Nick Luciano looks forward to the season with great anticipation. “I’m excited to get [the] band going again. It is one of the only things that can combine music, sports, and friends for me, so I’m always excited when it starts up.” Beginning on Wednesday, January 18th, the band will play at all the remaining women and men’s home basketball games. Come out and support your Catawba peers!