Athlete Spotlight: Brad Cline’s Climb to Success

Senior, Brad Cline, is on the front row, second from the left.

Photo Credit: Chuck Williams

Senior Brad Cline is on the front row, second from the left.

Olivia Myers, Writer
March 31, 2012
Filed under Spotlights, Students

Anyone that has ever spent time with senior accounting major Brad Cline has probably noticed his positive attitude and optimistic demeanor.   Cline, a 2007 graduate of East Davidson High School, has not only led the Catawba men’s golf team to a number of successes on the golf course, but has also served as captain of the team.  After playing golf for three semesters at UNC Greensboro, Cline decided to try his luck at Catawba, where he appreciated the straightforwardness and friendly personality of the men’s golf coach Sam Gealy.

Cline began playing golf when his grandfather made him a set of clubs at age seven and began playing competitively at age 9.  Although he considered playing other sports, his passion was always golf, and his hard work has paid off.  Cline not only became the top player on Catawba’s golf team, but also qualified for the North Carolina and South Carolina amateur tournaments three years in a row. Also, in the North-South Junior event, he shot a 71 on Pinehurst #2, a very difficult course where the US Open has been played.

Last year, Cline finished second in the South Atlantic Conference tournament, only two strokes behind the leader. Cline has also led the Indians through a very tough season in a conference that is far from easy.  “Right now, we’re in the middle of the pack, but that is to be expected from such a young team,” said Cline. “Everyone is working hard.”

Cline and fellow senior Colt Johnson are the oldest on a team that consists of six freshmen.  However, that hasn’t stopped the team from getting along.  Even though the team has some members that live off campus, they always try to spend time together outside of golf.  “We all get together at least one time a week outside of golf.  We get along really well,” explained Cline.

Although Cline has had his share of accomplishments, they haven’t all come easy.  He has overcome a number of injuries, including chronic lower back problems and inner section tendonitis in his left arm.  Last year he had to completely tape his arm from the elbow down during the conference tournament.  However, Cline has not let these setbacks stop him from his ultimate goal.  After graduation, Cline plans to try his luck in mini-professional tours, where many professional golfers get their start following college.  Cline believes that with hard work and determination he will reach his ultimate goal.  “Hard work and just using the six inches between your ears is a powerful combination,” says Cline.  Those words to live by have gotten Cline this far, and there is no doubt that they will take him even further in the near future.