The Student Newspaper of Catawba College

New Associate Provost Ready for the Challenge

Darby Reedy

Darby Reedy, Co-Editor

As President Lewis finishes moving into his new office, another transition is occurring at Catawba College. Replacing Dr. Carl Girelli as Associate Provost this year is Dr. Steven Coggin.

Dr. Coggin took time to sit down with me to discuss his new job and all the duties associated with such a position. Coggin described how the coordination for the orientation of new faculty fell to him, as he brought those together that performed the orientation. He also deals with various other faculty issues. Additionally, he sends key reports to the state and federal government. This allows Catawba to keep its doors opening, making his job extremely pivotal.

As Coggin cataloged his numerous duties, including the coordination of J-term, summer school, and international programs, he described how the best part of his job is helping students that are having problems. From registration issues to student grievances with professors, Coggin handles an array of student problems and concerns.

Unfortunately, Dr. Coggin’s new obligations as Associate Provost have left him with less time to teach. His only class this semester is one section of Molecules and Cells. Still, Coggin finds the Associate Provost job challenging, albeit rewarding, which is why he took the job.

If you are in need of Dr. Coggin’s assistance, his office can be found on the second floor of the Hedrick Administration building or he can be contacted by email at scoggin@catawba.edu.