After Successful First Season, Benson Eyes Bigger Role in 2013-14

macovert
Mark Covert, Sports Writer
March 20, 2013
Filed under Spotlights

Catawba swimming took a step forward this past season with two swimmers competing in nationals at the end of the season. Although three seniors will be departing this summer, both men’s and women’s squads are oozing with young talent and potential.

One of these bright young talents is Davie County High alumnus and Catawba freshman Palmer Benson. A native of Mocksville, NC, Benson had many accolades coming out of high school, including being an all-conference selection and making regionals and states all four years while at Davie County High. She chose Catawba because of her opportunity to continue her swimming career at the collegiate level.

Despite being a freshman, Palmer swam very well for much of the season, finishing up by qualifying for the conference finals in the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard individual medley.

However, despite all the progress she made during the season, Benson says that with her first year down, she expects more of herself in the future. “I feel that I will have more potential next year. I know how my coach coaches, and I am getting more adjusted to the program here. Coming in as a freshman, I had no idea what it was going to be like as a college athlete.”

She’s already mentally and physically prepping herself for great things. “I know that next year I will be more prepared for the type of training and I will know what is expected of me.”

When you speak with Palmer about swimming, something she doesn’t seem to lack is confidence.  She knows she wants to get better and that not only means working harder, but also taking on more responsibility next season.

“I feel that if I step up, I can be a leader for the freshmen that will be coming in. I can help them become accustomed to being a college athlete,” she explains. “I also want to lead by example, not only in the pool but also as a student for every individual on the swim team.”

With expectations and goals like those, it’s hard not to see Palmer Benson making monumental steps in her growth as a student-athlete and leader in the near future.