Senior Salute: Brandi Cockerham

lil me

Photo Credit: Theo Zatterstrom

Brandi Cockerham, Writer
April 15, 2013
Filed under Spotlights, Students

Writing this senior salute is completely surreal to me. It cannot possibly have already been four years since I first came to Catawba as a freshman. I look back to my junior and senior years of high school and remember that when I was looking at colleges to attend, Catawba never was one on my list. A spur of the moment, student-led campus tour was all that it took to change my mind, though.

Since that tour I knew that Catawba College was where I belonged. Even before I had even moved on campus I felt like this place was my home. Now, as a senior, twenty something days away from graduating, it’s really just began to hit me how different my life will be after I receive my diploma.

One of my favorite aspects about Catawba is the fact that I always have something to do. Some students may not feel the same, but I have purposely made it so that there is not a day that goes by where I don’t have something on my to-do list. As a busy body and self-proclaimed perfectionist, I began getting involved on campus right away as a freshman and haven’t slowed down since. Most of my favorite Catawba memories will be from clubs and organizations that I have been a part of for all four years.

During my time at Catawba, I have received so many opportunities that I never before would have thought possible. From taking a scuba diving class to joining the women’s lacrosse team, my time here has been full of excitement and adventure. I can honestly say that if I had the chance to turn back time and start over, I wouldn’t do one thing differently.

As of right now, I’m unsure of what my future holds. I think it’s safe to say that all upcoming graduates will agree (even those who have jobs or graduate school plans).  I think that is just another part of the adventure. Trying to determine my exact emotion about graduating is tough, but I think that it is close to the emotion I felt upon my arrival as a freshman. Nervousness, excitement, a lack of patience, and sadness fill my mind all at once.

There is a lot of uncertainty in my life currently, but some things that I am certain of are that I will greatly miss Catawba College and that my experience here has changed my life for the better.