Student Spotlight: Danny O’ Brien

Error: Unable to create directory uploads/2014/11. Is its parent directory writable by the server?
Aaron Hartsell, Writer
September 17, 2013
Filed under Spotlights, Students

Meet Danny O’ Brien, a 6’3″ Quarterback on the Catawba football team from Kernersville, North Carolina. Danny is a senior this season and he is number 7 on the football field. In the classroom, Danny is undeclared for his major but if he was picking one he would chose sports management. He graduated from East Forsyth High School and when he is not participating in school or football related activities, Danny enjoys fishing and just hanging out with his family and friends.

When asked what he planned on doing after playing football and college for a career, Danny replied “I want to play football anywhere at the next level.” Danny also said “If I don’t have the opportunity to play football at the next level, I would like to coach and having played with many different coaching staff’s have helped me with that.” Danny played football at the University of Maryland and the University of Wisconsin before transferring to Catawba.

This is Danny’s first season at Catawba, so I asked him how Catawba is different from the previous colleges he attended, other than the size of Catawba, he replied “Catawba is a lot more like a community feel and I feel like I know a lot more people.” Danny also said “I like playing closer to home because I get to see my family and friends a lot more often.”

Danny chose Catawba because his high school coach helped him get in touch with Catawba Offensive Coordinator and Quarterback coach, Kevin Brown, and he thought that the players, that are now his teammates, were hard working guys. He also thought the offensive system that Catawba runs was a good fit for him.

Danny played really well this past Saturday against Livingstone, as he completed 20-of-24 passes attempted for a total of 262 yards and three scores.

Danny and the Catawba Indians football team will try to go 3-0 as they take on Newberry at home this Saturday Night at 7.