Student Spotlight: Anna Barnes

Anna Barnes

Photo Credit: http://www.gocatawbaindians.com/

athartse
Aaron Hartsell, Writer
October 8, 2013
Filed under Spotlights, Students

Meet Anna Barnes, a 5’7″ distance swimmer on the Catawba swim team from Suwanee, Georgia. Anna is a junior this season. In the classroom, Anna is a communications major. Anna graduated from North Gwinnett High School and when she is not participating in school or swimming related activities, she enjoys running, spending time with her family, and she also likes to bake.

I asked Anna what she wants to do after college for a career, and she replied “I am not completely sure but I would like to go into public relations or event planning/marketing or sales marketing but I definitely want to do something in the marketing field.”  I also asked Anna what some of the goals that she has set for herself this season were, and she said “I have specific times that I would like to reach in 500, 1000, and 1650 individual freestyle events this season.”

This is Anna’s first season on the Catawba swim team, so I asked her how Catawba is different from the previous college she attended and she replied “It is smaller but the student living is bigger so it feels more like a college campus and I feel a better connection with the professors here.” Anna added that “the swim team at Catawba is really close as a team and the team unity is better.” Anna previously attended both Daytona State College and Darton State College before coming to Catawba.

I also asked Anna why did she choose Catawba when she was looking at different schools to transfer to and she replied “I was referred by a friend because I had never heard about the school and there were some really positive things about Catawba that I heard about and witnessed.”

The Catawba women’s swim team finished 9th this past weekend in the North Carolina College Classic. Their next event is a quad meet on  November 1-2 in Charlotte, North Carolina.