Student Spotlight: Rachel Gallup

GallupRachel

Photo Credit: http://www.gocatawbaindians.com/

athartse
Aaron Hartsell, Writer
October 29, 2013
Filed under Spotlights, Students

Meet Rachel Gallup, a 6’3” Outside Hitter/Right Setter on the Catawba volleyball team from Fredericksburg, Virginia. Rachel is a sophomore this season and she is number 23 on the court. In the classroom, Rachel is an elementary education major with a communications minor. Rachel graduated from Courtland High School and when she is not participating in school or volleyball related activities, she enjoys volunteering a lot and she is also a Resident Assistant so she said “she gets to do many fun programs through that.”

I asked Rachel what she wants to do after college for a career and she replied “I want to be in elementary education but I also have a minor in communications so I have been thinking about working with the National Multiple Sclerosis society, which is a non-profit organization.” I also asked Rachel what kind of goals she has set for this season and how she has done with them so far, and she said “I am involved in so many things so trying to balance my time efficiently was my biggest goal because that takes a lot scheduling and planning.”

When asked what her favorite moment has been so far while playing at Catawba, Rachel said “the game the volleyball team played against Anderson as a freshman and I had a career high of 24 kills and also when I was awarded the all-freshman conference team award.” I also asked Rachel what her favorite part of playing volleyball was and she replied ” I like that it is an indoor sport and it is non-contact sport and I have played for a very long time so the sport has been a huge part of my life and I don’t know what I would do without it.”

The Indians volleyball team has played hard this season but it has been a rough one so I asked Rachel as a player, how do she stays focused during a tough season like this year and she said “volleyball is not always about winning but the idea of a season like this is that you can focus team building with relationships and focus on how we as a team can get better for more seasons to come.”

Rachel and the Catawba Indians volleyball team won their past match against Coker on Saturday 3-0. Their next match is on Friday at home against Tusculum at 7.