A Step into the Future

Related Content

Jeremy Gardner, Writer
February 7, 2011
Filed under Student Life & News

Many students at Catawba do not know about our Career Services department. Robin Perry, the new director of Career Services is here to help with planning the future of Catawba students.

Before coming to Catawba, Ms. Perry worked with a health care company as the marketing director and with public relations. Before that, she was a “head hunter” that always had the passion to help people find things. She worked with various companies when they were searching for executive positions.

While in college, Ms. Perry held an internship with a local newspaper. She absolutely loved her job. Meanwhile, her suite-mate held the same internship, and hated it. She notes the importance of internships as knowing that you either are or are not making the right decision while in college. “Who wants to waste four years in college, to get a job and hate it?” states Ms. Perry. This is the purpose of internships.

Her biggest goal for Catawba is to emphasize that she is here for them. If they need help with resumes, applications, graduate schools, testing, or anything in between, she wants to be able to provide assistance.

She has planned various opportunities to help students while they prepare their future. Next Thursday, February 17, there will be a summer job/internship fair in the student center. Various summer camps and other companies looking for assistance will be on location willing to answer any and every question possible.

In April, she plans on having mock interviews with area CEOs to help prepare students for future interviews.

Ms. Perry’s biggest lesson she wants to teach is the importance of resume building. Starting with freshman year, she wants students to experience clubs and other organizations and build their resume until graduation four years later. Waiting until senior year to start building your resume is a bad idea.

For students who want to contact Ms. Perry to have her assist you, emailing or calling her is best, but you can also stop by her office in the student affairs office of the student center. Her email is rmperry@catawba.edu, and phone number is 704-637-4384. She holds office hours all day on Monday and Wednesday, as well as part of the day on Tuesday and Thursday.