Spring Fever

Erica Smith, Writer
March 28, 2011
Filed under Student Life & News, Top Stories

It’s time to break out the sunglasses and flip flops for the warmer weather. The first official day of spring was March 20 and the Catawba campus is already showing evidence of spring fever. Students are laying out in the sun, throwing frisbees, and walking through the blossom-filled trees to class.

March 5-13 was Catawba’s spring break, allowing students to take a week off for vacation. Hot spots included Myrtle Beach, Florida, and trips home. Wherever the destination, students were relieved to escape from dorm rooms, microwave food, and homework.

A main event that has everyone buzzing is March Madness. People all across the nation have been watching basketball, particularly NCAA basketball. Many sports buffs have made brackets and are excitedly anticipating wins and losses, in hopes that they have made the right predictions. Fans are caught up in suspension as the basketball season nears its close.

There are holidays that take place in these few months including Easter, Passover, St. Patrick’s Day, and Cinco de Mayo. The best way to spend any spring occasion is outside in the sun.

Spring is the time of year known for renewal because of longer hours of daytime and plant growth. During the spring season, there are at least 12 hours of daylight, and even more as it gets closer to summer. Many plants, such as the trees adorning the Catawba College campus, bloom this time of year.

Take a walk in downtown Salisbury, go to Hurley Park, or attend one of the numerous sporting events taking place on campus. There are countless ways to spend time in the warm weather and the spring season has just started.