‘Sustainable Catawba’ Will Soon Be Unveiled

Sarah Robinson, Guest Writer
February 19, 2012
Filed under Student Life & News

A collaborative effort called “Sustainable Catawba” will soon unveil a new approach to sustainability on the Catawba College campus.

Representatives from several campus organizations gathered February 9 to discuss their vision for the effort as well as to report on what their groups currently do to promote sustainability. The groups represented were Environment Catawba Outreach(E.C.O.), Green Education Outreach (GEO), Chartwells, Catawba’s food service, and the staff and interns of the Center for the Environment.

“It’s about leaving a lasting impression,” says senior Environmental Science major and Center for the Environment intern Brittany Moore.

Sustainable Catawba is a new coalition of all environmentally-themed offices and organization’s on Catawba’s campus.

Some ellaboration fronm senior Environmental Education major Sarah Moore: “There needs to be a group that is helping everyone work together and collaborate to move Catawba in the right direction.”

Sustainable Catawba will be that group.

The terms “sustainable” and “sustainability” are used with increasing frequency in the environmental and business worlds, but not everyone is positive as to what those words mean. The Environmental Protection Agency states that “sustainability creates and maintains the conditions under which humans and nature can exist in productive harmony, that permit fulfilling the social, economic and other requirements of present and future generations.”

The students currently involved have high hopes for the success of the organization. “I believe that the driving force behind creating this successful environment is the involvement of the students, and the reinforcement by faculty, staff, and students as well,” says senior Environmental Education major Kortney Kavanaugh. Brittany Moore is optimistic about different disciplines coming together. “With dedication from both sides of the street – faculty and staff included – we will be a highly ranked sustainable school,” she says.

Unveiling Sustainable Catawba

On Tuesday, February 21st, Sustainable Catawba will be unveiled to the campus community. Between the hours of 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., students, faculty and staff will have the chance to join the efforts of Sustainable Catawba. Those who wish to publicize their commitment may do so by signing a pledge that states: “I pledge to make Catawba College and the world better for myself and future generations by living more sustainably. In my daily behavior I will strive to reflect environmental integrity, social justice, and sustainable economic success. I am committed to reducing my own environmental impact by choosing one action in the following categories that will help our campus and the world become more sustainable.”

After signing, students will receive a free Sustainable Catawba T-shirt. Information on Catawba’s current sustainable practices and plans for the future will also be available.

More information about Sustainable Catawba and campus sustainability efforts can be found at: Sustainable Catawba College or on Facebook Sustainable Catawba.

One Response to “‘Sustainable Catawba’ Will Soon Be Unveiled”

1. Stephanie on February 19th, 2012 11:27 am

Thank you for this informative article, Sarah!

[Reply]

VA:F [1.9.11_1134]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)