English Becomes More Versatile at Catawba

BooksImg

Photo Credit: Utne.com (Utne Literature Blog)

Sydney Smith, Writer
March 19, 2012
Filed under Student Life & News

Recently, Catawba College split its English major into two separate majors: English Literature and English Writing. What does this mean for anyone interested in studying English at Catawba? The chance to obtain two degrees.

Before splitting the English major, a student pursuing an English degree chose a concentration in either literature or writing. Now, like many other colleges and universities, Catawba offers an opportunity to double major in English.

Because numerous English courses apply as credits for each of the two majors, an English student can easily major in both. By following this route, a student can earn two degrees for the price of about one and a half since many courses required for each separate degree meet the requirements for both. This is also an excellent opportunity for education students majoring in English — before, education students wanting to teach English had to major in English concentrated in literature studies. Although education students studying in English still must major in English Literature, they can easily double major by adding English Writing if they are interested in both.

This split still offers great benefits for students not interested in pursuing both degrees. If a student enjoys literature, he or she can major in English Literature and immerse themselves in courses dealing with different types of literature. If the student desires to focus more on writing improvement, he or she can focus on classes revolving around different types of writing styles.

For more information regarding English courses, contact Dr. Gordon Grant.