ACS returns from PITTCON Conference

Members of the ACS enjoy themselves during free time at the PITTCON conference.

Photo Credit: Alan Burgess

Olivia Myers, Writer
April 9, 2012
Filed under Student Life & News

While many college students spent their spring breaks visiting friends or family, a few of Catawba’s finest science students attended the PITTCON conference and expo in Orlando, Florida. Several students from the Catawba College chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS) traveled to the science conference, which covered a variety of science talks, short courses, poster sessions and forums. Four Catawba seniors, Jacob Hill, Lori Fraley, Rachel Cone and Alan Burgess, presented research at the convention. Other ACS members attended the conference to expand their scientific knowledge and to prepare them for their own scientific research in the future. Not to mention while also soaking up a few rays on the beautiful beaches of Florida in their downtime.

This year, the PITTCON conference attracted over 15,000 people from 89 countries. Over 1,900 booths were set up displaying the latest in laboratory instrumentation, lab equipment, scientific application devices and other technologies used in science. There were over 2,000 people who attended the conference to present their work and almost 100 that gave actual lectures. This year’s topics ranged from food and drug safety all the way to bio-analytical chemistry techniques. One of the most popular lectures was given by scientist R. Graham Cooks. Almost 1,400 people were in attendance for his Plenary Lecture.

As you can see, the PITTCON conference was a great way for Catawba students to expand their scientific knowledge and also become introduced to potential future employers while still having fun in Orlando.