The Writing Center: Helping Catawba Students Write the Right Way

Error: Unable to create directory uploads/2014/11. Is its parent directory writable by the server?
Darby Reedy, Co-Editor
October 2, 2012
Filed under Student Life & News

Don’t know where to start a paper? Having trouble writing a conclusion paragraph? Confused about the prompt? Visit the writing center!

Maybe you’re having trouble with the organization of your paper. Perhaps it’s an issue of the ideas in your head coming out wrong when you try to write them down. At one time or another, everyone struggles to find the right words to express their ideas on paper. That’s exactly what the writing center is for.

A free service offered by Catawba College to its students; the writing center provides one-on-one tutoring by fellow Catawba students. The tutors are hand-selected by writing center director Dr. Margaret Stahr, and are required to complete a tutoring class in which they read and discuss passages that deal with writing and writing centers.

Stahr stresses the importance of writing centers, emphasizing that “[They] play an essential role in helping students develop as writers. In the writing center, students can meet with a peer whose sole purpose, in that space and in that moment, is to be an interested, curious, and engaged reader.” These peers may also have added insight into what professors are asking of their assignments, perhaps having even completed the assignment themselves in the past.

Dr. Stahr acknowledges that students may experience some hesitancy in coming to the writing center. She says that “sometimes students think that using academic resources like the writing center or math help sessions is a sign of weakness. It’s not. Students become successful by knowing when they need help, and then seeking out that help.”

Theodore Shepard, an honors student and frequent user of the writing center, shares Stahr’s beliefs. “I really enjoy the writing center because I get such great feedback on my work! Being somebody who thrives on constructive criticism, I love how the writing center tutors operate,” Shepard says of the helpfulness of the writing center.

Theo and many others visit the writing center on a daily basis. From beginning to end, the writing center is here to help you out!

The Writing Center is open Monday through Friday from 1-4 in room 211 of the Hedrick Administration building. It is also open Monday-Thursday from 7-10 P.M. in study room number five of the library. You can make an appointment by stopping in ADM 211 or by calling the writing center at (704) 645-4819. Walk-ins are also welcome if tutors are not currently working with a previously scheduled student.