Wigwam Productions Brings Preston Pugmire to Campus

Related Content

Brandi Cockerham, Writer
February 25, 2013
Filed under Student Life & News

Students at Catawba College have to come to expect a Wigwam event every Friday night of the semester.  This past week, Wigwam decided to mix it up in more ways than one. They did this by not only making the event on a Thursday, but also bringing a new performer to campus.

Preston Pugmire arrived at Catawba around 5:30pm to assist with the set-up of the student center. Around 6, he headed down to the cafeteria to introduce himself to students and invite them to the event, which was scheduled to start at 8 o’clock.

The crowd was slow to arrive, but by the end of the night, Preston had attracted quite an audience. Preston Pugmire is different from any other performer that has ever been at Catawba because he did not simply sing and play guitar. Preston does what is referred to as “looping” music. He engineered a panel of foot petals that he uses to record and play back music. By the time a song ends, it seems that he has an entire band including backup singers. In reality, it is just him, his guitar, some foot petals, and a microphone.

Preston performed a mixture of original songs as well as some covers. He also invited the audience to follow him on Twitter and he even held a tweeting contest. Junior, Timberely Motsinger, won the Twitter contest and in turn received a free Preston Pugmire t-shirt.

After his show ended shortly after 9, Preston headed to the back of the student center to mingle with students and sell CDs and t-shirts. Wigwam has received some great feedback from the students who attended the show and hopes to have Preston back to campus again.