Catawba Students Experience Leadership Retreat

Morgan King, Writer

During Labor Day weekend, the Student Government Association (SGA) sponsored the annual Leadership Retreat held at Black Lake Retreat Center in Asheboro, NC, in cooperation with the Retreat Leadership Corps (RLC) and the Lilly Center for Vocation and Values. The thirty participants included members from the RLC and SGA and freshman who were interested in running for the upcoming freshman class SGA elections.

Throughout the weekend, several sessions focused on leadership and leadership skills. Participants shared their own personal leadership role stories as well as whom their role models are in their lives. On Saturday morning President Brian Lewis visited and talked about his different leadership roles throughout his life while answering the participants questions that they had for him.

Dr. Clapp, who was also there, led some sessions, which were about how to run a meeting and parliamentary procedure. Leadership games were played and the SGA members started planning out the year and talked about the freshman class elections. Junior Class Senator Titus Hunt shared his experience about the retreat, saying, “this was my second retreat and I enjoyed meeting new people and I learned more about being a leader that will make me be a more effective leader in the future.” Overall the retreat was a success and everyone arrived safely back to campus on Sunday afternoon.