Catawba College Homecoming 2013

Related Content

hmdavis
Hannah Davis, Writer
October 22, 2013
Filed under Events, Student Life & News, Top Stories

Leaving family and friends after fall break was hard, but the transition back into college life was made manageable by all of the fun and exciting Homecoming events. Throughout the week, there were a variety of events from sports to tie-dyeing, and the student center was decorated with festive school colors and posters full of spirit. The painted windows of the student center reminded every student who walked through Stanback Plaza of all the fun things that were happening that week that they wouldn’t want to miss.

On Wednesday, PBL and the psychology club sponsored a tie-dyeing session for students to make their own tie dyed t-shirts to wear to the football game on Saturday.  They also gave out a small Catawba bullhorn that students could bring to the game to help cheer on the team. There was also a photo booth available that had a table of funky accessories that you could use to take funny pictures with friends.

On Thursday, there was a Homecoming Campfire that burned brightly despite the threat of rain, and was sponsored by The E.C.O Club. Hap’s served their famous hot dogs and chili, and there were also plenty of s’mores and Cheerwine to go around. Student Government also gave out Catawba students cowbells at this event to help make some noise at the football game on Friday.

Unfortunately, the Lip Sync that was scheduled for Friday night in The Lily Center was cancelled. However, a Midnight Madness basketball extravaganza replaced it. There was a student basketball game between the male and female societies on campus, a dunking competition, and then a scrimmage game for the students to get a preview of this year’s basketball team. There was also free pizza, more Cheerwine, blue and white pom poms, and a raffle for free Catawba gear. In addition, women’s volleyball took on Lenoir-Rhyne and Brevard College on Friday for two amazing games, but sadly lost both. The Blue Masque Hall of Fame inductions for Catawba theatre alumni also took place on Friday and inducted four new members.

Game day Saturday rolled in with dreary looking weather, but it didn’t stop students from packing the stands for the Homecoming football game. Before the game, the Blue Masque and Dead Athenian Society (DAS) got together for a duo club event which gave away sausage and apple cider. This year’s Homecoming King and Queen were announced to be Jonathan Buffkin and Allison Andrews.  The football team had a good run against Pembroke for the big game but ultimately was defeated. The fun but rainy day ended with a stellar performance of Pink Floyd’s album “Dark Side of the Moon” by the Vernacular All-Stars.