Like Mother, Like Daughter

Brandi Cockerham, Writer
October 1, 2010
Filed under Spotlights, Top Stories

Catawba College has been in Salisbury, NC since 1925 so it’s definitely not unusual for a current student to meet an alumnus of Catawba out and about in public. Sometimes it’s a lot easier to find alumni than you think.

For instance, Hannah Thomas, a senior, is the second generation in her family to attend Catawba College. Hannah’s mother, Teresa, graduated from Catawba in 1983 with a bachelor’s degree in Theatre Arts Education. Currently, Hannah is working towards her bachelor’s in Physical Education.

Like her mother, Hannah has stayed very involved in and around campus during her almost four years of attending. Mrs. Thomas was a member of Blue Masque, the secretary of her freshman class, as well as an inductee into Phi Epsilon. When talking to Hannah’s mother, she stated that “theatre kept her busy more than anything.”  Currently, Hannah is the president of the Delphinian Society, a member of Wigwam, a West Scholar, an Ambassador, as well as a Retreat Leadership Corps member.

Even now, as an alumna, Hannah’s mom, Teresa stays involved at Catawba. Hannah explains that her mother comes to all of her “cross country meets, several theatre productions, and anything she can, really.” Hannah and her mother “have actually had two of the same professors”, she tells me. Ms. Pat Whitley and Dr. Kasias have both taught the mother-daughter duo.

When Hannah was asked if her mother ever pushed her towards coming to Catawba, she replied:
“No, she told me to pick wherever I wanted to go. My parents asked me, regardless of cost, what college I wanted to go to. I chose Catawba.” Hannah proceeded to explain that when the day comes for her children to pick a college to attend, “If my kids want to, I would love to have them come to Catawba.”