Tyler Hollis Talks Money

Angela Hope, Writer
October 11, 2010
Filed under Ketner School of Business, Top Stories

Monday morning in the Ketner School of Business, Tyler Hollis the Assistant Vice President Commercial Banker at SunTrust Bank spoke with students in the Money and Banking Economics course taught by Proffessor Hake.

Hollis graduated from UNC Chapel Hill in 2007 with his interests focused in the Banking industy. The recent economic crisis has greatly impacted his understanding of the industry, but it hasn’t impacted his progress.

Hollis spoke with the students about the history of banking in the Charlotte area. Starting with how Charlotte was known as a ‘Ghost Town’ for him growing up. It wasn’t until several Bank CEO’s started to fund and grow Charlotte into the city it is today. Competition in the Banking Industry has led to the growth and productivity that Charlotte is now accustomed too. Charlotte is now known as the second largest banking capital in the nation.

Tyler Hollis

Students learned from Hollis different traits that indicate how a bank functions. Students learned that banks on the brink of faliure tend to offer outrageous interest rates to lure in deposits, as quickly as possible.

Hollis managed to encourage the students to learn and apply themselves for any opportunity available to them.  “I took an entrepreneurship course, I didn’t have any idea that I would use that knowledge to help guide entrepreneurs in their business plans.” says Hollis. He commented on how now he uses that knowledge in more ways than he realized at the time.

Hollis summed up his lecture with questions about the industry and how the current crisis is going to affect SunTrust. The fact that SunTrust is a large bank has them in decent shape for the future, and Hollis has put Catawba Students in decent shape for their future.