The Student Newspaper of Catawba College

Pioneer

Catawba College Welcomes Emily Schneider

Steffi Cook, Writer

Since the start of the Fall 2011 academic semester, freshmen and transfer students are not the only unfamiliar faces seen around campus. New professors, faculty, and staff are also included in this dynamic mixture.

I was able to spend some time with Emily Schneider, a new staff member in the Student Affairs Department. She is the new Area Coordinator for Housing, Wellness, and Intramurals for the college and is excited to be a part of the friendly, family-like atmosphere that Catawba provides for its students and employees.

Fresh out of her undergraduate studies from Urbana University in Ohio, Emily has several key duties. She is responsible for overseeing half of the Residential Assistants, managing the schedule and staffing of the Wellness Center, and is in charge of the group of students that plan the intramural activities for the campus. She describes her experience at Catawba so far as being a positive one, and is enthused that she works at an institution with such a beautiful campus.

If she isn’t hard at work in the Student Affairs suite, Emily most likely is in class or hitting the books to earn her master’s degree in Student Affairs through the University of North Carolina-Greensboro. She studied Exercise Science while at Urbana, but was recommended by the Director of Career Services at the school to pursue a career in this specific path based on the activities she was involved in during her collegiate years. She seems content with his advice and happy to be pursuing this occupation. When time permits, she enjoys playing basketball among other sports. Catching up on sleep is high on her priority list as well.

Go by and introduce yourself if you haven’t met Emily and you will see that she is a great addition to the Catawba family! Her office is next to Sarah Rossini’s, Catawba’s Director for Housing and Residence Life.