Alumni Spotlight: David McDowell

McDowellPic

Photo Credit: David McDowell

dnreedy
Darby Reedy, Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under Alumni, Top Stories

Almost four years ago, Cresaptown, Maryland native David McDowell walked across the stage and graduated from Catawba College with a degree in Sport Management. Now, as Sports Information Director at Catawba, he can be found working at most sporting events here on campus.

Before returning to work full-time at Catawba, David worked here part-time as Sports Information Director. During his brief stint as part-time Sports Information Director from 2010-2011, David started the online media guides for athletics.

He then had the chance to partake in many once in a lifetime experiences when he began working for SportsMEDIA Technologies (SMT) in 2011. During his time at SMT, David worked a plethora of sporting events ranging from the NFL playoffs to March Madness to NASCAR races.

He also worked IndyCar races, including the infamous race where Indianapolis 500 winner and IndyCar champion, Dan Wheldon, died. David had a whirlwind experience, as he “saw records broken, met celebrities, traveled every week, and got close to the athletes.”

However, now David has returned to work full-time at his Alma mater. When asked why he came back to work at Catawba, David cited the fact that he is emotionally tied to the college. He also sees the college as a second home and a place where he found help when he initially struggled as a student. “For me to come back, this time on a full-time basis, I wanted to give back to the school to help students in the way that I was helped when I needed it,” David says as he explains part of his reasoning for coming back to Catawba.

David is indeed giving back, in part, by starting an internship program through his department. Offering internships and hands on experience to a variety of students, the program gives the students resume building experiences in a friendly learning environment.¬†From interviewing student-athletes to helping with headshots and media guides, student responsibilities run the gamut. David praises these internships because they “offer such a wide variety of skill sets to help students prepare for a job outside of Catawba and we try to go the extra step and get interns in contact with someone in the direction that they want to go professionally.”

A friendly face and an extremely hard worker, we are glad to have David back at Catawba! Look for him at the next sporting event you attend!