Fun for the Whole Family: Spencer Doll and Toy Museum

dnreedy
Darby Reedy, Editor
September 8, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Top Stories

Barbies and racecars and trains, oh my!

From Shirley Temple dolls to trains and die-cast racecars, the Spencer Doll and Toy Museum has something for every age and gender.

Beth Morris Nance and her mom, Susan Morris, opened the museum in memory of Amy Morris. Amy, Susan’s daughter and Beth’s sister, passed away in 1996, leaving them with over 300 dolls. Sixteen years later, in July of 2012, they opened the Spencer Doll and Toy Museum.

The museum, which is the only doll museum in North Carolina, has a variety of both permanent and temporary exhibits. Temporary exhibits change every 3-4 months, so every visit will likely provide something new.

Schoenhut circus figures are currently one of the temporary exhibits featured in the museum. Loaned to the museum by Wayne and Helen Thomas, the figures depict an intricate circus scene filled with tightrope walkers, clowns, and circus animals. The Schoenhut exhibit has been up for approximately one month, meaning there is still time to visit the great exhibit!

Schoenhut Circus Figures

Classic Fisher-Price toys are also on display, as well as countless Barbies, many with unique and interesting attire. Another standout exhibit includes gorgeous Madame Alexander dolls featuring characters from the Wizard of Oz.

While there are many female oriented exhibits, the Spencer Doll and Toy Museum by no means disregards the male visitor. The museum boasts a wall full of differently themed replica delivery trucks, as well as a large train set. The set includes numerous sets of train tracks, each with their own train, a working waterfall, and a beach scene, among other impressive features.

Young or old, male or female, avid collector or not, the Spencer Doll and Toy Museum has something for everyone! Come out and see what the museum has to offer, including their friendly staff!

The Spencer Doll and Toy Museum is open Wednesday-Saturday from 10-4. Admission prices are as follows:

Adults-$5
Students, seniors, and groups of 15 or more-$4
Youth (4-15)-$3
Children 3 and under-FREE

The museum, which is a 501c3 non-profit organization, also accepts donations. They also accept dolls if you have any rare dolls you would like to loan for a temporary exhibit.

Visit the Spencer Doll and Toy Museum website for more information.