Scholarships Help Students at Catawba

dnreedy
Darby Reedy, Writer
April 23, 2012
Filed under Student Life & News, Uncategorized

Many students, without the help of scholarships, would not have the opportunity to attend and blossom at institutions of higher learning. Catawba students are no exception. As with any college or university, scholarships have played an integral part in helping students attend Catawba.

Lois Williams, Vice President of Enrollment Management, was gracious enough to sit down and discuss the importance of certain scholarships.

Beginning with the process of receiving a scholarship at Catawba, she talked about the convenience of the procedure. With the exception of the First Family Scholarship, there is no additional application or essay beyond a student’s initial submissions to Catawba for admission to be in the running.

Although completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is suggested in order to better match students with potential need-based scholarships, it is not required. “We want to make sure that we are looking at any avenue of money so that students can afford this education,” Williams says of the importance of filling out the FAFSA.

Eligibility for scholarships is then determined from that initial application and the FAFSA, if applicable.

Catawba does their best to match scholarships with recipients that most closely resemble the criteria set forth by the donor. When asked about the matching process, Williams says that is important to try to match their criteria because “money represents a donor’s caring and devotion to education. Specifically, the education at Catawba.”

Thanks to all the generous donors who have helped the students at Catawba College to further their education.