The Student Newspaper of Catawba College

Pioneer

Spirit Rock Makeover

Veronica Leasure, Photographer

The Catawba College spirit rock is looking great after its back-to-school makeover! Walking by the rock on the way to class, you’ll see “CAT U 17-18” in bold red and white lettering on the side to commemorate this school year. One side of the rock, closest to the sidewalk, is covered in white and red with the iconic three feather Catawba ‘C’ in a deep navy blue. From the terrace, students can see a large tie-dye Catawba ‘C’ above the words “Roll Tribe” on a teal background. “Roll Tribe” is a throwback to a previous painting of the rock that was inspired by the University of Alabama’s “Roll Tide” insignia. The rock’s side facing the Cannon Student Center proudly says ‘Indians’ in light teal. Across the top of the spirit rock is written ‘Catawba’ in red and teal cursive. These designs were chosen to help promote and encourage the back-to-school spirit that we feel!

Catawba’s spirit rock was donated by the Class of 2008 and has worn many different looks since then. “At one time the rock was purple and another time it was teal,” Casey Eller said, one of the students involved in painting the rock. Eller said that painting the rock was a great way to get back into the school spirit. Students plan to update the rock regularly and bring some more spirit to the rock.

Veronica Leasure
The New Look