The Student Newspaper of Catawba College

Pioneer

Priscilla Perez Releases Debut EP, “Weirdo’s Like Us”

William Spencer, Writer and Managing Editor

Catawba College student, Priscilla Perez is releasing her debut EP entitled “Weirdos Like Us” on Sunday, April 30. Since September of last year, Perez has been in the studio rehearsing, recording, and assisting with mixing the 4-track compilation. “ ‘Weirdos Like Us’ is one of the songs on the EP, and it’s about finding someone whose weirdness matches yours. Some would say that’s love,” she stated. With the release of this EP, Priscilla hopes to reach new audiences while tiding over her dedicated fan-base within Rowan County.
Priscilla states that the release of her EP would not be possible without the help of everyone who contributed to the project. “It’s been a long time coming but I definitely feel like all the time, effort, and energy put into this project will be well worth it,” she said. “I really had some amazing people (on the project) from my band and engineer, to the artists that did the album artwork. None of it would have come together without them.” ‘Weirdos Like Us’ is an ode to people who embrace their imperfections and find the beauty in loving their inner weirdness.
A senior this year, Perez is a double major in Popular Music and Music Business with a minor in Business Administration. She has her sights set on songwriting and performing in the musical city of Nashville, Tennessee. Priscilla has spent her past four years at Catawba developing as an artist through honing her songwriting, theory, and performance skills and by experimenting with her personal sound. “I’m a little odd; I like to step outside the box, and I like that about myself. I also like other people who are not afraid to be their authentic themselves,” she said.
Her musical influences consist of a very diverse group of artists such as Mariah Carey, Regina Spektor, Taylor Swift, and many more. Many times people have asked Perez what she considers her genre to be, as each of her songs have their own unique musical personalities. From writing songs with Latin inspired rhythms, to her Baroque Pop influenced songs with stringed instruments and horns, the overarching themes of transparency and encouragement remain the same. Because Perez pulls from many genres and writing styles, she identifies her music as indie-pop. “Putting ‘indie’ makes things less strict,” Perez said.
Perez wishes to thank all her fans for their support in her musical endeavors and hopes they will enjoy her debut EP, as well as attend her EP release concert Sunday, April 30th at 7:30. in Hedrick Little Theater. It’s sure to be a show you don’t want to miss! Make sure to visit her Facebook page for more information: https://www.facebook.com/priscillaperezmusic/