13 Fun Things to Do on Campus Before Graduating!Mercedez Boucicaut April 29, 2022 0 COMMENTS
My past 4 years at Catawba College have been a blast and personally, I believe it has to do with my involvement in the school’s community. There are a bunch of activities to do on campus that every student should participate in before graduating. Below I’ve provided a bucket list for students to check off before they graduate. Hopefully you check out these cool opportunities, either with a group of friends, or on your own before commencement!
- Rent a Bike! ─ Renting a bike at Catawba is simple. Shoot Emily Schneider an email saying the amount of times you want to rent out a bike and you will receive a time to pick up the keys. Bike riding is a great way to take a break away from your studies, exercise, and enjoy the Salisbury scenery! This can be done alone, or with a group of friends!
- Party Hard at Catawbapalooza! ─ Palooza is a core memory for me at Catawba, and it can be for you too! Enjoy a day in the sun with carnival games, slides, food trucks, and more! This is a great way to hang out with friends and make new ones! There are so many activities to get involved in, it is guaranteed to be a good time!
- Dance the Night Away at Winterfest! ─ Winterfest is an event that every Catawba student should participate in. It’s a blast hanging out with friends while dancing and singing to music! Personally, the photo booth is my favorite part, and makes for a great souvenir to remember the night!
- Attend a Sporting Event! ─ Football games are a great way to spend your Saturday afternoon, show your school spirit and support the team! Watch the cheerleaders perform and listen to the band while the team competes! Football games are a great way to socialize with other students, and the concessions are a must! Other sports games, like basketball, baseball,etc. are great too!
- Attend a Performance! ─ Catawba College is known for having an exceptional theater department and nothing is quite like the magic of live performance. Be on the look out for emails sent to your student address, flyers posted around campus, and/or listings under the events tab of Catlink announcing the latest production! The school also hosts amazing concerts!
- Participate in Intramural Sports! ─ Intramural sports are always a fun time, whether you are playing, or just watching. Make a team with your closest friends and play against other students for the championship title! Regardless of your knowledge of the sport, intramurals are a great way to stay active and create memories with your friends! More information about intramural sports is available under the life tab of Catlink.
- Go for a Walk in the Nature Preserve! ─ Until Jan 2023, when nearby construction is over, the only way to enter the preserve will be through the entrance behind the Robertson College-Community Center. However, it’s more than worth it to explore the 189-acre on-campus ecological preserve, home to the clicking of chorus frogs, the calls of the prothonotary warbler, the sights of Falcate orangetip butterflies, as well as a beautiful body of water home to a variety of waterfowl, beavers and more!
- Go for a Swim! ─ Cool off at the pool located on the first floor of the gym! The hours differ each semester depending on which lifeguard is on duty, but they are usually open on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Swim on a hot day, or to relax after homework, or after a tiring practice!
- Get Your Game On! ─ In the upper level of the Cannon Student Center, outside of the Blue 51 dining area, you will find a game room full of classic cabinet arcade games, ping pong, foosball, air hockey, and more! Furthermore, in the Lilly Center Coffeehouse, located in the basement of Omwake-Dearborn Chapel on campus, there are tons of board games to choose from! As a side note, the coffee house also has free coffee, free tea, and free cookies, as well as snacks for only 50¢!
- Toss a Ball around With Your Friends! ─ Spend the afternoon playing beach volleyball! There are sand courts located near the gym facility outdoors, as well as a fountain to wash the sand off your feet! Emily Schneider has volleyballs available to rent out for the day, so make sure to contact her in advance. There is also a basketball court located nearby that’s fun to use!
- Experiment with New Technologies in the Digital Learning Lab! ─ Pioneer Writer Chase Taylor described its many exciting features and functions best here.
- Participate in a Club! ─ You can find an official list of clubs and organizations held at Catawba College here.
- Attend and/or Host a Student Event! ─ Even if you are not an official member of a club, not to worry, many clubs host events you can casually attend by either RSVPing in advance, or just by dropping in. Be on the look out for emails sent to your student address, flyers posted around campus, and/or listings under the events tab of Catlink announcing them in advance! And if you are the president of a club and want to host an event, first reserve a space with Conferences and submit a budget request to the Finance Department of the Student Government. To spread publicity, make a print flyer to have Sharon Newsome approve of in the office of Student Affairs, make copies of it there to post around campus, and then send a digital version to Octoria Ridenhour for her to email to the student body.
Hope this article inspired you to explore student life at Catawba! Feel free to share your favorite thing to do on campus, or anything I missed, in the comments below!
To read similar articles listing activities you can partake in near campus, click here and here!